NC Judging Director:
Web dev by
- Now is the time to fix up your expiration dates! Renew your memberships and update the system or all your generated
contracts will be invalid. Only 3 people have updated their dates so far. Please don't forget!
- Please fill in availability as soon as you can, as some meets are already asking for judges.
- Don't forget to send your CPE information to Kim Stenson if you have not done so yet. You should have received a note from her recently which explains
what she needs from us.
- Hold the date...August 27th is the date for the fall Judges Clinic. It will be hosted at Lake Norman Gymnastics.
- Mileage change: Effective January 1, 2016, the rate for mileage reimbursement for judges is $.54 per mile
to reflect the recent decrease in the IRS standard mileage rate for 2016.
- Level 8 Vault Questions:
Q: Is a coach allowed to ask for and receive the average of the first vault at Level 8?
A: Coaches can ALWAYS ask for the score of the first vault at ANY level. Many times it’s an issue of protecting a slightly injured athlete from doing another vault if the first vault score is adequate and acceptable. Sometimes the gymnast plans to perform two different vaults and the coach wants to know the score of each to determine which was the counting vault. For Level 8’s, it’s essential that the coach knows the score of the first vault to assist in their decision to have the gymnast try a second vault or not.
Q: Please explain the 1.00 deduction for the coach spotting (assisting) during the post-flight for Level 8? Is there ever a time that we would void a Level 8 vault, in regards to the spotting deduction?
A: If a Level 8 (or any optional gymnast for that matter) is spotted in pre-flight or support phase, the vault is Void.
Since Level 8 is the first level at which salto vaults can be performed, the JO and Technical Committees decided to add a 1.00 deduction for spotting in the post-flight to encourage coaches to not be reluctant to “bump” the salto in order for the athlete to complete more of the BA rotation. While the intent was to keep the athletes safer on flipping vaults, it is also applicable to any vault performed by Level 8’s.
If the gymnast is spotted not only in the post-flight, but also during the landing phase, the spotting assistance on the landing phase deduction of 0.50 will also be applied for a total of 1.50.
- The updated special requirement #3 for L6 Bars is the following: One 360° Clear Circling element from Groups 3, 6 or 7. It may NOT be an element performed
with hips on the bar during or at the completion of the circle. Front / back hip circles or sole circles do not fulfill this SR.
- Be aware of the Gold UB cast requirement changes. There are no cast amplitude deductions for the Gold level, so the gymnast either achieves one cast
to horizontal - and meets the Special Requirement - or she doesn't, and .5 is deducted from the Start Value.
- The roundoff dismount on BB is now added as an 'A' skill.
- While in some previous years a Bronze gymnast could do a chasse + leap combination to meet the dance passage requirement,
it does NOT meet the requirement now. Other combinations that have been seen this year that do not
meet the requirement are leap + bent knee hop (from the compulsory routine), leap + straight jump. Neither the bent knee hop nor the straight jump are "A"s on floor and are not
listed on the Bronze skills chart.
- Be very aware of the front salto position. Gymnasts are not allowed to do a front pike until the Platinum level, since the Gold level
does not allow a B salto on floor.
- If a coach provides verbal directions to the gymnast (for instance, saying "tuck jump" to a gymnast who forgets what to do next) the chief
judge should take the deduction on this routine rather than just giving a warning.
- Is it possible to connect a cartwheel and roundoff in a floor routine? Yes, this is not an impossible connection. Of course, it depends on the
foot placement and technique the gymnast demonstrates as in any connection, but many cartwheel-cartwheel or cartwheel-roundoff combinations have been
connected this season.
- On Bars, a Platinum gymnast can not do the swing with a half turn dismount (that IS allowed at Gold) since that dismount is not an
AAU membership code
Judges must have an AAU membership if they are going to judge an AAU meet. The NC AAU Gymnastics website has the links for AAU membership registration.
When you register, make sure that you use WW6AC8 as the team code in order to link to the Team North Carolina league. You can submit this expense
to Terri Costa if you have available education account credit for reimbursement. Please make sure to go to the NC AAU website to download any rule updates before arriving at your meet.